Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just Another Busy Day

Very busy at work today, but sitting down to crochet now. I still have gifts to finish for a Christmas party on Saturday. Better get moving! Thought I would share some info about a great charity to contribute to - either by crocheting or knitting or a cash donation.

I have two grandchildren that were born prematurely - Gracie (now 2) and her newborn baby brother Carter (3 weeks old). Gracie was born 9 weeks early at 3lbs 7oz and spent 26 days in the NICU. Carter was born 5 weeks early at 5lbs 6oz and spent about 2.5 weeks in the NICU. The NICU can be a scary place and when Gracie came along we had never imagines we would find ourselves spending several hours a day there. With all the machines and noises, and those tiny, tiny, babies, it was so comforting to see they had handmade blankets and hats. Something to keep them warm and it made it seem so much less sterile.

So, ever since Gracie was born I have been knitting and crocheting hats for the NICU where they were born. I have also made several blankets. I have found the majority of the patterns for free on Bev's Country Cottage (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/) site and the Project Linus (http://www.projectlinus.org/) site.

I am looking forward to coordinating some Crochet parties with my family and friends to focus on one day of work on hats for the NICU. If we can manage to hold a couple of these sessions we should be able to create some scarfs and hats for donation to local children in need.

If you would like to read more about Gracie and Carter, you can check out my daughter's blog on the right - under my blog list.

Take care and have a wonderful night!

No comments: